Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Wakefield Plantation


I recently acquired this photo of theWakefield Plantation while visiting St. Francisville, Louisiana. It is also referred to as the Stirling Plantation. Lewis Stirling and his wife, Sarah Turnbull Stirling resided in a 1807 log house until 1834 when the present house was built.

Members of my Morgan and Weathers families were slaves on this plantation.  Many of them were born, raised and died here. Lewis Stirling is their last slaveholder.

Wakefield plantation was originally two and one-half  stories, but in 1877 the house was divided by the heirs and two other houses were built from it. Those two houses later burned, leaving the original diminished house.  The current owners are Dr. Eugene and Jolie Berry. 

During the 42nd Annual Audubon Pilgrimage, March 15, 16, 17, 2013, eight homes will be opened  for tours including the Wakefield Plantation. This pilgrimage celebrates John Audubon's stay at the Oakley Plantation where he tutored a child and painted birds.

2 comments:

  1. Dear friend, I am a member of the Stirling family and just stumbled on your site. My grandmother lived at Wakefield after her mother died - her name was Jenny Chichester Hereford, her father was James Stirling Hereford. I am 75 years old - my grandmother, who married and lived here in Alabama, told me many stories about her life at Wakefield but I never heard a word about slaves and am horrified to know this. I guess I am naive - after all, it was a plantation and who did I think was doing all the work?? Please accept my profoundest apologies. I am a firm believer in equality and am an Obama supporter and went to the 50th anniversary of the Selma march. Love to you, Patricia, Peyton Carmichael

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Peyton, Thank you very much for visiting my blog and your heartwarming email. You are the first person to respond who was a member of the Stirling family. I would love to hear some of your grandmother stories and I would like to communicate with you about your connection to the family. Please send me your email address. I appreciate the apologies, however, I don't hold the descendants of slaveholders responsible for slavery. I believe in reconciliation and open communication between the descendants of slaveholders and the descendants of slaves. I visited the Wakefield in 2013 and have some information from the new owners I can share with you. Patricia

      Delete